Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Music of the Night!

I've always been a music person. I love it! I prefer it to television and find it to be the most satisfying aspect of a film. I have a soundtrack to my life and an odd taste in favorites! Barry Manilow tops the list with his amazingly romantic tunes that all women long to turn into reality! Bing Crosby's low tones and sweet croons remind me of happier times when women were ladies and men were gentlemen. Showing my age, I find Breaking Benjamin, Daughtry, Alice in Chains, Rob Thomas, Matchbox twenty, and Train filling my car on my daily transits through my life and normal routine. I prefer music that either melts my heart, or causes my ass to shake on a dance floor. I also like to pound my fist on the steering wheel and shout at the top of my lungs from time to time! However, there are times when I notice music coming from an origin other than the speakers on my television or stereo. Sometimes the thunder rolls, a heart beats, or the small breaths of my only child can be a melody to my ears and the harmony to my life! Other times, the music does not follow a specific rythem or creatively placed collection of notes. Some times, like tonight, the music is new and exciting, strange and questionable...but still music to my ears!

Ting...Ting...Ting! I had just turned off the shower and could hear the strangest sound breeze through my home, down the hall, invading every room. As I reached for my towel, the pinging noise began to grow anxiously and wildly as the tempo quickened. "What could it be?" was all I could think. I clumsily groped for my robe...knowing that the blinds on my sliding glass doors were pulled open, allowing the neighborhood to gaze into my dining room, the direction of the mysterious noise. I glanced in the playroom, sure that my daughter would still be watching her beloved Veggie Tales videos. Empty! The video rolled, the sound just a whisper compared to the constant "ting" that I continued to hear. Soon the "ting" was accompanied by another melodious and beautiful sound. The sweet giggle of my daughter rang through the air followed by the percussion of her footsteps down the hall and into my arms! "Pretty!" she joyfully exclaimed grabbing my hands and pulling me with all her might! Confused and intriqued I cautiously allowed her to lead me down the hall, where the "tinging" noise had mysteriously stopped. "What could she have gotten into in the two minutes I took to jump in the shower?" I thought. Our home was as child-proof as you could be for the average toddler. However Lexi had never ceased to amaze me in her ability to pick a lock, disarm and alarm, pry open a latch, and put the invention of "child-proof" safety equipment in extinction. As we slowly continued down the hall, I knew that she was the cause of the strange music of the night. The constant "ting...ting...ting ting...ting ting ting ting..ting" had ended the moment she concluded with her grand finale of a squeal! We rounded the corner and I struggled to catch my breath! "Pretty" she muttered again, this time pointing to her creation on the wooden kitchen floor. There I stood at the entrance of a work of art, 1,250 craft beads strewn along the floor. A rainbow of colors and minagerie of shapes lying helplessly in every nook, cranny, and inch of the floor, illuminated by the beaming smile of my proud two year old. The music of the night quickly returned, however not as joyously or mysteriously as before. My bones cracked, my lungs exhaled, and my mouth sighed as I began to bend down to start the job at hand. The sheer disappointment on Lexi's face assured me that the task could wait until she was asleep! I proudly kissed her cheek as she again repeated "pretty" from her beautiful lips!

Needless to say, the beads have been hidden, only to be used under careful adult supervision!

No comments: